Crypto Wallet Maker Ledger Loses 1M Email Addresses in Data Theft
Jul 29, 2020 at 09:30 UTCUpdated Jul 29, 2020 at 13:56 UTC
Ledger said customer details have been stolen in a data breach that may well have been exploited for over two months.
- In a ” class=”wpel-icon-right”>note to clients Wednesday, CEO Pascal Gauthier said the French hardware wallet provider fell victim to a large-scale data breach from an unauthorized third party.
- The hacker, whose identity remains unknown, gained access to Ledger’s e-commerce and marketing database.
- Customers affected include those who signed up for Ledger’s newsletter or to receive promotional material.
- Information stolen included email addresses, with a smaller “subset” of 9,500 customers also having their full names, postal addresses and phone numbers exposed.
- In total, the company estimates around one million email addresses have been stolen.
- Payment information, passwords and cryptocurrency funds have not been affected.
- The data breach was first detected as part of a bug bounty program on July 14.
- Ledger estimates the data may have been accessed from April until the end of June.
- A Ledger spokesperson confirmed to CoinDesk the data breach has now been fixed.
- The wallet provider has now alerted the French authorities and is filing a complaint with the public prosecutor.
- Ledger said it has not found customer information disseminated online nor has it received any ransom demands.
Read more about…
The leader in blockchain news, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a ” class=”wpel-icon-right”>strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of ” class=”wpel-icon-right”>Digital Currency Group, which invests in ” class=”wpel-icon-right”>cryptocurrencies and blockchain ” class=”wpel-icon-right”>startups.
Powered by WPeMatico
|CryptoCurrency||USD||Change 1h||Change 24h||Change 7d|
|Bitcoin||0.31 %||1.96 %||1.33 %|
|Ethereum||0.13 %||0.80 %||2.21 %|
|Tether||0.06 %||0.05 %||0.05 %|
|XRP||0.03 %||1.28 %||4.14 %|
|Bitcoin Cash||0.20 %||0.30 %||3.71 %|
|Binance Coin||0.09 %||1.50 %||2.58 %|
|Chainlink||0.12 %||0.71 %||5.14 %|
|Polkadot||0.37 %||1.83 %||7.92 %|
|Cardano||0.44 %||1.00 %||1.51 %|
|Litecoin||0.01 %||1.58 %||5.14 %|
|Bitcoin SV||0.13 %||0.30 %||5.83 %|
|USD Coin||0.04 %||0.06 %||0.06 %|
|EOS||0.14 %||1.59 %||2.73 %|
|Crypto.com Coin||0.04 %||8.92 %||29.35 %|
|Monero||0.66 %||1.53 %||3.71 %|
|TRON||0.19 %||0.36 %||5.01 %|
|Stellar||0.14 %||5.67 %||9.30 %|
|Tezos||0.04 %||1.35 %||6.91 %|
|Cosmos||0.13 %||3.32 %||8.98 %|
|OKB||1.00 %||1.79 %||25.49 %|